In addition to its core program of seminars for CMS teachers, Charlotte Teachers Institute produces a variety of special events to engage and educate teachers and the community at large. Best known among these is its Exploding Canons series, where CTI and its cultural partners produce forums for university and college faculty and other academic and community experts to examine topics through multidisciplinary lenses. Since 2010, CTI has offered 17 public events for more than 3,000 guests, half of whom were teachers.
- Feb. 23 – Open House for Teachers
- Nov. 15 – Teachers as Scholars: Charlotte as a New South City at the Levine Museum
- Oct. 18 – Evening for Educators: Science/Art/Identity
- Sept. 8 – Science Research Experience for Teachers
- Aug. 9 – Teacher Identity Workshop at Bechtler Museum
- CTI Open House – Thursday, Feb. 25
- Teachers As Scholars: The Global Energy Challenge Thursday, Feb. 4 at Discovery Place
- CTI’s Exploding Canons: NUEVOlution Event Oct. 27 Focuses on Latinos in the New South
- Evening for Educators: CTI Fellows Share Curriculum Created in 2014 Seminars
- Charlotte Teachers Institute Explores Lake Norman in Exploding Canons: Under The Lake Oct. 21
Pictures from CTI’s Evening for Educators event held on March 3, 2015 at Discovery Place Education Studio
Pictures from past CTI events:
Panelists Stefanie Carter-Dodson, Elouise Payton, Larry Bosc, and Brenda Flanagan at Gantt Center "Teachers as Scholars" event
Robin Mara, CTI Program Associate, and Elouise Payton, Panelist at Gantt Center "Teachers as Scholars" Event
"Teachers as Scholars: African American Literature of the Civil Rights Movement" at Gantt Center
Audience at McColl Center "Exploding Canons
Panelists Mario Belloni, Jae Emerling, and Natalie Andrew engage guests at McColl Center "Expldoing Canons: All the Time in the World"
Panelists Beth Lasure, Mario Belloni, Jae Emerling, and Natalie Andrew engage guests at McColl Center "Expldoing Canons: All the Time in the World"
Audience at McColl Center "Exploding Canons: All the Time in the World"
CTI Fellow Viloki Patel (middle) listens to panel discussion at McColl Center "Exploding Canons: All the Time in the World"
Audience at "Planets" October 2010
Gregory Mixon, CTI UAC member, and his wife at "Planets" October 2010
CTI Fellows Jeff Joyce and Beth Lasure at "Planets" October 2010
Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux, NC Dance Theatre, and Jacomo Bairos, Charlotte Symphony, at "Tchaikovsky Tchats" March 2012
"Political Conventions" October 2011
Amy Farrell, Generation Nation (formerly Kids Voting) at "Political Conventions" October 2011
James Meena, Carolina Opera, Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux, NC Dance Theatre, and Jacomo Bairos, Charlotte Symphony, at "Tchaikovsky Tchats" March 2012
Audience at "Mummies" January 2012
Barbara Ann Temple, Arts & Science Council, and Robert Corbin, Discovery Place, at "Mummies" January 2012
Director Scott Gartlan at "Tchaikovsky Tchats" March 2012
Dan Fogel, Wake Forest Univeristy, and Ross Meentemeyer, UNC Charlotte, at "Sustainability" October 2012
Guests at "Mummies" January 2012
CTI Fellows Connie Wood, Intisar Hamidullah, Brook Blaylock, Deb Semmler, Torrieann Dooley, and CTI Program Associate Robin Mara at "Mummies" January 2012
For information about upcoming events (and past events), select links below.